The Plano, Illinois congregation of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was organized on April 21, 1861, and met at the home of Elder James Horton.
In May 1868, members passed a resolution to build a church. In a show of support and encouragement, townspeople contributed liberally to the endeavor and a local merchant donated the land. Plano Stone Church was completed and dedicated in November 1868. The pews and pulpit, made from native lumber by church members, are still in use.
The Stone Church was the home congregation of church president Joseph Smith III from 1868 until 1881 and served as denominational headquarters. The Plano Stone Church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Projects at Plano Stone Church
- Preservation Study: The Foundation funded a major preservation study of the Stone Church that will guide maintenance and restoration for years to come.
- Repair and Maintenance: The Foundation funds annual repair and maintenance expenses.
- Signage: The Foundation is funding a major upgrade of directional, informational, and interpretive signage for the site.
- Artifact Care: The Foundation funded restoration of a Plano "preaching chart" and coordinated artifact preservation.
Help Preserve Plano Stone Church
Click on the button below to make a generous donation towards the preservation of Plano Stone Church